Xplore is a Seattle-based company offering Space as a Service®. Xplore provides hosted payloads, communication relay services and exclusive datasets to its customers via the Xcraft®, the company’s multi-mission spacecraft. Xplore’s mission is to expand robotic exploration via commercial missions at and beyond Earth, to the Moon, Mars, Venus, Lagrange points and near-Earth asteroids for national space agencies, national security agencies, sovereign space agencies and universities.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Xplore is hiring a Senior Mechanical Engineer to spearhead the design and build of numerous structures, assemblies, and components for Xplore spacecraft development programs. Mechanical elements including flight and ground hardware. This individual will support the design of an element through the full design lifecycle – from concept through to integration and test. The successful candidate will exhibit versatility in design and analysis expertise as well as have experience with actual spaceflight hardware. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work across Xplore teams to support Xplore spacecraft development programs and business development efforts.
- Lead the design, build, and component level testing of mechanical flight and ground hardware
- Perform structural and thermal analysis of mechanical components andassemblies
- Create component and assembly drawings for all hardware
- Assist technicians in integrating all components and assemblies onto the spacecraft
- Test components and/or assemblies to prepare for integrated ground testing
- Develop engineering tools to complete tasking
- Support payload accommodation activities, including placement of payload CAD models within spacecraft payload volume and reconfiguration of the spacecraft bus components
- Support business development efforts
Required skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5+ years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of the following disciplines: mechanical design, structural engineering, thermal analysis, component or assembly level mechanical testing, electrical and/or instrumentation experience
- Experience with ground test hardware
- Experience with component-level and/or subsystem-level test planning and execution
- Experience with the design of ground support equipment (desired)
- Expertise using CAD tools
- Ability to communicate technical information, challenges, and guidance to varied audiences
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to work on own initiative and prioritize tasking to align with business goals
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role
Xplore is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Xplore is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.