Xplore is a Seattle-based company offering Space as a Service®. Xplore provides hosted payloads, communication relay services and exclusive datasets to its customers via the XCRAFT™, the company’s multi-mission spacecraft. Xplore’s mission is to expand robotic exploration via commercial missions at and beyond Earth, to the Moon, Mars, Venus, Lagrange points and near-Earth asteroids for national space agencies, national security agencies, sovereign space agencies and universities.
Flight Software Engineer
Xplore is hiring a Flight Software Engineer to develop software for the various flight software segments across the Xplore spacecraft software architecture. This individual will play an integral role in software development, integration, and test and must have experience developing flight software on a real-time system for operational spacecraft. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate an ability to work with minimal supervision while being responsive and flexible within the framework of an agile space start-up.
The Flight Software Engineer will work with the Systems Engineering, MissionOperations, and XCRAFT™ subsystem Leads for the development of the flight software segments needed to control the spacecraft and manage its payloads.
- Develop, test, integrate, and maintain software that performs spacecraft executive-level and management functions
- Assume ownership of these software products, including verification testing and writing documentation
- Perform development activities throughout the software development lifecycle
- Support integrated software testing
- Support software readiness, planning, preparation, execution, and evaluation for all phases of spacecraft mission; from launch to mission to de-orbit
Required skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution in Software Engineering or Computer Science and 5+ years of relevant experience,OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience developing operational software for a space mission
- Strong programming skills, particularly in C/C++, or significant experience in another language
- Real-time systems experience and/or understanding of RTOS
- Experience and knowledge related to software discipline process development and deployment
- Ability to communicate technical information, challenges, and guidance to varied audiences
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to work on own initiative and prioritize tasking to align with business goals
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role
Xplore is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Xplore is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.